Saturday, December 5, 2009

True to Self

  
If I had to pick a religion or a spiritual path, it would be Taoism. But I am loathe to pick just one. I do not believe in mono-, poly-, pan-, or a- theism. I do not believe in a singular way to truth. Rather, I believe in being true to your self.

I set down this path after reading Stephen Mitchell's translation of the Tao Te Ching in 1997. Every year, I pick up that dogeared book and reread it cover to cover. I highlight or underline passages that spark my interest or raise a question. Over the years, different passages resonate. It is amazing to tangibly see how a year of life's experiences change resonance, mark the passage of time, and shift perception. In that way, Taoism is a rock firmly beneath my feet. It helps me find truth in who I am.

0 comments:

Post a Comment