Friday, December 4, 2009

It's So Hard When They Pay for Everything

  
At 21, I was old on campus. That isn't hard when you are one of only about 300 students. It was m second time in college. I was hopeful that it would be better than the last. This one was the complete opposite of the other: liberal, small, rural, and grade-less.

I waited in line to pick my classes silently observing. The conversations around me included: "This summer I traveled all over Italy thanks to mom and dad."; "Well my parents paid for me to..."; "It's so good to finally be away from my controlling parents. I mean really, they expect me to listen just because they pay for everything."

I was lost, out-of-place, a world away. I hated it more than Catholicism. I left at the end of the semester and moved to San Francisco.

0 comments:

Post a Comment