Saturday, December 5, 2009

Little Luncheonette of Drag Queens

  
In the eighth grade, I was in Little Luncheonette of Terror. It was a spoof of Little Shop of Horrors for theatre companies and schools too poor to purchase the rights to the more famous musical. The jumpsuit I wore was detailed with bubble wrap spray painted a bright leaf green to give the impression of some swamp thing from outer space. My face was also painted a verdant green with black grease accents on my nose and eyes. It was my first starring role. I was thrilled.

While I no longer perform in musicals (Did I really think I could sing?), the flair for the dramatic, theatrical, and illusion live with me. It is why I still love wigs and make up and drag queens.

1 comment:

  1. !!! :D I remember seeing you, this entire play, very vividly. I must have been 5 or 6 years old sitting with my parents in the audience--my older sister played a small role as one of the 'students'. You were so great--your performance was so beyond that of the other kids in the play. Gosh, to this day, this memory of you has been what I always remember you by. And, well, now its clear why--Because this vision of you is what your core being illuminates.

    ReplyDelete