Monday, November 9, 2009

Bible School at Pine Ridge

 
I've been to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation on the edge of the Badlands in South Dakota twice. They were mission trips organized by a national Christian organization. The first time I was Catholic. The second time I was not. Both trips consisted of painting homes, cultural exchanges, and bible studies. I was fine with two out of the three purposes.

My second year there I almost got sent home. I wasn't just not Catholic. I was anti-Catholic. The memory of seminary was close and couldn't be ignored. Nor could the Christian's role in the genocide of native peoples. I wouldn't teach bible school. It was disingenuous to require bible school for paint.

The leader pulled me aside.

"You have to do what we're here to do or you will go home."

"Then send me home."

My dad was there too. he talked me down. I complied begrudgingly.

Later, I had the opportunity to speak to an elder of the community.

"How do you put up with us? I barely can."'

"You accept what help you can."

"But...I mean Christianity has done so much harm. How do you reconcile harm against the good?"

"Listening is not the same as accepting or condoning. There are good lessons Jesus taught. They are in line with our history and story. Pay attention to those lessons."

I am still grappling with that wisdom today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment