Monday, November 9, 2009

Peace of J-Town

 
We wrestled him to the ground in the middle of J-Town Peace Plaza right in front of the pagoda. We were on a field trip to get ice cream. He was becoming defiant and violent, and we were afraid he would hurt himself and others. He was eight, and his meds affected his thyroid. He was large for his age.

"It's okay everyone...No really. We can do this....It is for your own safety. Please back up. He will hit you."

The crowd grew along with his temper and the five other youths' excitement. We were nearing a chaoric melee.

"Go! Take them all back to the Center. Walk back. We'll catch up." I said as I sat on top of him, his arms pounding the concrete, his legs kicking.

"You sure?" She replied.

"Yes. It'll only get worse if you stay. Keep everyone else safe."

The crowd continued growing.

"Really...I'm certified to do this. It is okay." I flashed my badge.

"No! It's not! I'm pressing charges. You wait and see, you FUCKER! Get of me. I'm going to punch you in the face!" He screamed.

Realizing things were okay-ish, the crowd dissipated. His audience gone, he calmed down.

"Everything's going to be okay." I said to him. "I just want to get home safely. You'll feel better there. I promise."

"I'm fine now. I've calmed down. See." His breathing was normal. His voice low. I stood and helped him up.

"Can we go now," he asked.

"Sure," I said. "We're walking back."

We made it back to the Center safely. I had to drag him a block or two when he realized there would be consequences when we returned. He apologized to everyone as a part of his consequences.

Whenever I return to J-Town, I hear his voice and see his face. Sometimes, I smile at the absurdity of the situation. Sometimes, I'm saddened recalling the story that put him in the Center in the first place. Always, I remember him.

0 comments:

Post a Comment